Sunday, April 13, 2014

Raz Kids, Alternative GHO option, SS projects.....

Hello! I am very eager to head back to work this week [YES! I am definitely saying I will be happy to see Monday!] After reading Michelle Klamm's post about conducting Running Records via Raz Kids, I did some investigating on my own. I will be starting my own this week via Raz Kids. I'm excited to see the breakdown of skills and how much the kids and I enjoy doing it this way versus the way we have been doing it. It's always fun to experiment, right? I can't wait to see what the kids think as well! It seems all I have to do is "assign" them their level book assessment and then they can do it on their iPad or any computer. It records their reading which will give me time to analyze it in a quiet environment that enables me to pause and replay if I don't hear the reading the first time. It will then ask the student to summarize what they read-and this again is a recording that I can listen to at a different time. Raz Kids assessment sheet gives me a 0-3 scoring rubric for their answers. It also gives them a 5 question comprehension quiz and reports the scores to me. Questions: Has anyone else used these as running records? Likes or dislikes about it? How did the kids like doing it this way? For kids on the lower levels, did any of you [teachers] find the need to READ the comprehension questions aloud? I can see this as a need for a couple of my kiddos. Any input, opinion, comments, etc would be greatly appreciated!!

I recently had a class contact us about doing a GHO...due to major time zone differences, we could not do a "live GHO". So, we decided to start doing videos and posting them to each other on Twitter via YouTube. In each video, we answer their question and pose a new question....then they do the same....we have done several now.....click on the links below to see a small "taste" of what we have been sending/doing. We have two students in charge of recording the questions and answers we have received thus far. The students still enjoy the competition of guessing their location before they guess ours. Critical reasoning, logical thinking, geography knowledge are just a few of the skills we are practicing. What was your best GHO thus far??

They made the first video! 

Our response/first question to them...... 

 They're 2nd video with response/new question

Our response/2nd question to them.... 

And so on...we will update you on our Mystery Class GHO as we get more clues!!!

 
The students will be presenting their social studies projects starting next Tuesday. I am excited to see what they have created! We had them choose a topic, and basically take on the role of teacher in that they needed to lesson plan! They have to have some kind of notes about their topic that sum up the information, a visual aid of some sort, and a follow up activity for their classmates to practice the new information they received. I have seen many students creating Stick Arounds, using Thinglinks, Keynotes, and I even taught them about Google Forms [but I believe these can only be CREATED on a computer, correct?] I know the students are eager and excited to show off what they have created and to see what their fellow peers have done as well. 

Our favorite apps from the past couple weeks have been AURASMA [still having problems with scanning images from ANY ipad versus the ipad that it was taken/created on]. The kids are also eager to try some coloring pages from colAR Mix app and Chromville app. Thank you Ann for hooking us up to a GHO with Sue G. that showed us these awesome AR apps!

No comments:

Post a Comment