Monday, January 27, 2014

Introducing IPADS into Math Curriculum

Day 3...

Today we got the kids all signed up for Khan Academy....we also spent time on padlet.com [which is like an online sticky note board where kids could type things and they instantly pop up on the website]. I showed students how to bookmark a page so we can access it easily again in the future. Tomorrow I plan on showing them SOCRATIVE [clicker type app] and doing more 'exit tickets" via one of these two options. I was really hoping we could have a class Twitter page so we could have a "live chat" about our novel we are reading or as an exit ticket, place to put questions, etc. But for now, the padlet.com or Socrative app will suffice:)

We also pulled up today's Daily Spiral Review in Math. The kids were SOOOO engaged and quietly focused on the problems. Everyone wanted to share [reflect to rover] and explain to everyone how to do each problem. BEST. SPIRAL REVIEW. EVER! I also showed them the workflow process when they do an assignment that is from the book [open from drive to notability/send it back to the folder they created for their math assignments]. I heard things like "this is so cool"...and "this is so much easier..." and I even heard one student say "I can't believe [he] is actually paying attention and doing the spiral review...he never does this when you tell us to". Side note, he usually is one of my gems that I struggle with to keep his attention and I have to constantly push him to give effort. He was TOTALLY engaged today. I hope it is like this every day! I'm sure the luster will wear off a bit when it comes to the newness of using the iPADS, but this way holds each student more accountable because I randomly asked people to reflect their work/answers to the rover. After spiral review, we took notes inside notability as well and learned how to save it under the lesson name. Some kids asked about Evernote, but I believe Evernote only allows you to type-is that correct? Notability gives them the flexibility of typing, writing, etc.

I can't wait to see what the future holds....

No comments:

Post a Comment