Thursday, January 30, 2014

Jenny K's Challenge

Sarah Armstrong and I met with Jenny K today to start planning....and she posed us a challenge. The challenge is to FLIP one Math lesson per week. Sarah will flip one day and share it with me, and I will flip another day and share it with her. So our students will all experience TWO flipped Math lessons a week! :)  Challenge on! She wants us to use the "quiet time" when kids are listening to lessons to pull some of our low/struggling math learners. We talked about how to run that group....possibly let each listen to their own then discuss together...OR listen to it all together on one iPad and we will pause the video and show them some things on marker boards, etc. It will be interesting to give up that "control" of dictating the classroom, but that is what CHANGE is all about--pushing yourself out of a comfort zone. I will keep you updated on our ongoing challenge. Thanks Jenny!

ALSO....we sat and used the gClassFolders tool in Google Spreadsheets. I created a writing folder for all of the 6th grade students so that when they finish their descriptive writing, grammar projects, DOL, etc...they will have a place to dump it to where I can see it....no matter who their teacher is.

BUSY days...but WELL worth the effort!!!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Glad to hear it! The ladies at #cheiftain nation I am coaching this semester are the queens of flipped math lessons! They are finding that it works very well! The one on one time you gain with students is invaluable.

    Way to use gClassFolders script! I LOVE how quick and easy it is to make, share, and keep folders organized. I think it is the best script for getting your Google Drive workflow set up. Now that two way sharing is established, your paperless workflow is in place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been making videos for our algebra classes for almost a full year now! It is fantastic and you will love it!! You have exactly the right idea and you will be able to help all of your students more individually! If you need any advice feel free ask away! I am excited to see how it goes for you!! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really excites me, and I will be eagerly anticipating hearing and seeing these flipped lessons when I return! I know you and Sarah are up for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete